An ongoing partnership between Hampden-Sydney College and the Hatteras Island Ocean Center has evolved into a commitment to manage the facility, providing unique experiential learning opportunities on North Carolina’s beautiful Outer Banks.
We, at the Ocean Center, strive to:
- Partner with the local community and provide opportunities to students and volunteers to collaborate with organizations and schools in citizen science projects and community outreach events.
- Provide interdisciplinary experiential learning opportunities to students at Hampden-Sydney College (H-SC).
- Provide H-SC students opportunities to lead educational programs that demonstrate the importance of wildlife conservation and public history.
Learn more about Hampden-Sydney College (http://www.hsc.edu/) and the summer internship program (http://www.hsc.edu/entrepreneurship/hatteras-internship).
H-SC Ocean Center, LLC
A nonprofit as it is wholly owned and controlled by Hampden-Sydney College and therefore is tax exempt. The Hatteras Island Ocean Center is currently under the management of Hampden-Sydney College.
Hatteras Island Ocean Center, INC
A nonprofit 501(c)(3) community effort made possible with the generous help of our volunteers, contributors, and supporters. Donations are tax deductible.
- Eric Kaplan: Founder, Teledyne LeCroy Frontline, Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Tim Midgett: President of Midgett Realty, Hatteras North Carolina; former Chairman, Dare County Tourism Board.
- Harriet Kaplan: Founder, Peabody School, Charlottesville, Virginia.
Founding Volunteers: Liz Browning Fox, Jody Haller, and Rich Henneberry contributed countless hours of their time to help launch the Ocean Center.